Community Links is an anti-poverty charity based in Newham, East London, where you will be joining our award-winning Advice Team.
Under the supervision of a solicitor, Community Links team provides volunteers/interns with training and legal work experience, whilst they offer advice to some of the most vulnerable members of our community.
+ This STEP Traineeship is available as an ONLINE vacancy only this time.
Other, what?: Legal advice centre
As a Trainee Advisor & Advocate, the STEP Trainee is expected to learn and go on to practice core legal skills such as:
- Client interviewing;
- Opening and closing case files;
- Taking clients’ detailed instructions;
- Assisting clients with initial claims’ procedures for public funds;
- Referring and signposting clients to appropriate professionals;
- Drafting attendance and file notes;
- Drafting letters to clients and statutory and non-statutory bodies (advice and business letter
- Engaging with medical professionals, civil servants (including those in local authorities) and the Courts & Tribunals Service;
- Casework skills, such as managing your own caseload, time management and prioritisation;
- File management, i.e. keeping clients’ files in order and compliant with the Advice Quality;
- Standard and the Solicitors’ Code of Conduct;
- Researching the law;
- Drafting arguments and negotiating on behalf of clients;
- Ad hoc administrative and paralegal support for our solicitor and advisers, including non-client project work;
- Drafting non-legal research and dealing with varied external organisations;
- Analysing and assessing the merits of evidence;
- By mutual agreement, representing clients at hearings before members of the judiciary
ELSA United Kingdom
London, United Kingdom
Other: Daily lunch allowance of £5 and telephone expenses.
Consumer Protection Law - General
Labour Law - General
Property Law - General
Social Security Law - General
English - Good
This position is open to both undergraduate and postgraduate candidates of any discipline who wish to pursue a career in law.
The candidates should possess the following qualities:
- Excellent listening, oral communication and written English skills;
- Ability to treat clients’ personal details confidentially;
- Organisation and team working skills;
- Enthusiasm, empathy, patience, maturity, professionalism, a can-do attitude and the ability to take onboard positive criticism.
***This STEP Traineeship is conducted online and it has a flexible start and end dates that will be discussed directly with the candidates.***