Legal Advice Centre (University House) (LAC) is a pro bono organisation in Bethnal Green. LAC is one of the oldest and most prestigious legal advice centres in London, and it is dedicated to filling gaps in public social services and relieving distress of the residents in the Borough of Tower Hamlets. The clientele represents the diverse community in which LAC operates. The work done by the LAC focuses specifically on specialist employment advice, welfare benefit appeals, legal expenses insurance, housing, and family law. LAC collaborates actively with some of the largest law firms in the UK which provide lawyers to work on the cases.
Other: Legal clinic / non-profit charitable organisation
The trainees are expected to, inter alia:
- Assist the lawyers of LAC with the cases;
- Operate the online database;
- Conduct legal research and writing; and
- Shadow the lawyers, and attend meetings and court visits as may be necessary.
ELSA United Kingdom
London, United Kingdom
Administrative Law - General
English - Good
The trainees should have good administrative skills (experience preferred) and a good understanding of IT systems.
The working time is usually 9:00-17:00, but the trainees are expected to work once a week during one of the evening sessions running from Monday to Thursday 13:00-19:00.
IMPORTANT! The traineeship is four (4) weeks in length, and LAC can only take two trainees at a time. In order to be considered for the position, please indicate clearly in your application during which of the following slots you would prefer and be able to do your traineeship:
1. August 2018 (5.8. - 30.8.2018)
2. September 2018 (2.9. - 27.9.2018)
3. October 2018 (30.9. - 25.10.2018)
4. November 2018 (28.10. - 22.11.2018)
5. December 2018 (25.11. - 20.12.2018)
6. January 2019 (6.1. - 31.1.2019)
7. February 2019 (3.2. - 28.2.2019)
8. March 2019 (2.3. - 27.3.2019)